Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Tale of Two Messages


I had another message to write about today, but a friend of mine posted a quote that I absolutely had to share and try to expound on first.

“I must learn to love the fool in me--the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries. It alone protects me against that utterly self-controlled, masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of my human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my Fool.”

Theodore Isaac Rubin (born 1923); psychiatrist, author

Doing things for the sake of doing them, because you enjoy them, is a lost art. Look at vacations, most of the time people are so exhausted from "vacationing" that they need another one when they return. I recommend stepping out of your adulthood at least once a week if not more( if you need to quantify a formula). Play a practical joke, go see a funny movie, or simply go by a small ice cream cone. Only kids seem to choose ice cream cones over other forms, and have such pure joy at slowly making them disappear. It is hard to look like a big responsible adult while trying to defeat an ice cream cone before it melts all over you.

On to my second subject.

Random Acts of Kindness

This is something that every single person on the planet should focus on accomplishing every single day. There is literally no down side to this. This is as beneficial to you as it is to the person you perform the kindness for. Things like Paying for someone's coffee behind you at the gas

station, or an extra tip for a decent but shy server. I know eating out is expensive, but that overly generous tip would probably get wasted on other stuff anyway. I guarantee that the server you left it for will suddenly start having a great day, which will make all of their customers happier, and result in getting better tips all around. Suddenly you have lots of people talking about this server they had at such and such restaurant that brightened their whole day, instead of telling another horror story about bad service.

This translates to so many things. Go out of your way to compliment co-workers, even giving a few dollars to the homeless guy on the street corner. Who cares what he is going to use it for, its the act of giving that makes the difference.

I think if you make a concerted effort to give this a try for the next two weeks, you will see a difference in your attitude and demeanor during that time. For me it comes down to a simple phrase that encompasses both of the above principles.

You cannot make someone smile, and not smile in return.


1 comment:

  1. Most times, I don't care about other people's opinions of me - not in the idea that I try to be an ass, but I understand the fact that not everyone will like me all the time, and I've matured to a point where I can accept and embrace that. However, I had been going through a very rough time lately with work and not feeling valued .... I noticed that my Fool was being targeted ... the very essence of what I love about myself were under fire. That was hard to address and finally, I had to embrace and defend those parts. Things are better now but that quote came at the perfect time for me. <3

    ReplyDelete